Peace and Hope works in Latin America alongside individuals, families and communities in poverty, so that they can live with dignity, free from violence and injustice.
Founded in South America, Peace and Hope is a Christian peacebuilding and human rights organization that was established in Peru in the context of a decades long internal armed conflict. Despite grave personal danger, a small group of Christians boldly came together in the late 80s to stand against the violence and injustices taking place, to defend the rights of those who were suffering. Initially known as the Commission of Peace and Hope, the group formally established as an organization in 1996.
To this day we continue to walk with people who suffer violence, injustice and poverty. Through God’s faithfulness, Peace and Hope has grown over the years to become a family of Peace and Hope organizations in Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, France, the United Kingdom and the United States. For almost three decades we have worked with communities and churches to transform local legal, educational and cultural spheres to defend the hidden victims of violence and other forms of injustice, to transform systems and prevent such injustices from happening in the future. Peace and Hope International is the U.S. office of the international family of Peace and Hope organizations, and actively supports the growth of Peace and Hope throughout Latin America.
Peace and Hope International supports the mission through:
Provision of financial support
Education and training
Capacity Building and Consultation
North-South, South-North, and exchanges within Latin America, to foster mutual learning and understanding.
Operational and Financial Principles
Peace and Hope subscribes to the following principles in carrying out all of their programs:
- Respect for life in its fullness
- Non discrimination
- Respect for cultural diversity
- Rejection of all forms of violence
- Condemnation of terrorist actions from governmental and non-governmental actors
- Independence from political parties and governmental institutions
- Commitment to a democratic society as the basis for human coexistence
- Good stewardship and respect for creation
Peace and Hope is committed to the following principles in its financial practices:
- Minimize overhead costs to ensure that most of the funds raised benefit the people we serve.
- Use funds consistently with the purpose for which they are given.
- Comply with each country’s legal and accounting standards for nonprofit organizations.
- Operate with transparency and accountability through reviews and audits of programs and projects undertaken by Peace and Hope.
- Funds received from local and national governments and multilateral agencies will not compromise our vision, values, and principles.
- Love: Love drives us to seek continuously the holistic well-being of others.
- Personal Integrity: We strive to be consistent in what we are, what we say and what we do.
- Justice, Mercy and Humility: We have a passion for justice and are committed to treating our neighbors with respect and mercy, and to walk in humility.
- Professionalism: We provide quality services in an efficient and responsible manner.
- Collaboration: We share and live out our vision and institutional principles in fellowship, trust and transparency.
- Peace: We believe that God calls us to be agents of reconciliation and that fullness of life is the fruit of justice and truth.
Peace and Hope upholds Christian values and doctrine as expressed by the Micah Global network, to which we are affiliated.